Friday, October 26, 2007

The Beginning of Poverty

I'm reading The End of Faith by Sam Harris. The book is essentially an argument for the abolishment of the three main religions. It's excellent and I'll review it in full when done but wanted to mention two quick points before bidding adieu for the weekend.

First, since I started reading I'm 0 and 4 in sports gambling. This is a stunning turn of events and I believe there may be larger "cosmic" factors at play here. If this trend continues I may be the first person driven back to the Church by this book.

Second, this book has made me come to believe that every Muslim I encounter secretly wants to kill me. If reading books were a more socially acceptable activity in the United States, Harris' arguments could very well have created serious public unrest.

While I write that half tongue in cheek, I invite you to join me in reading this book, I'd be interested to hear other opinions. His writing is very persuasive but also very provocative and potentially dangerous (although he would argue to not engage in the discussion is even more dangerous).

Merry weekend to all and to all a good night.

No comments: